We completed 40,601 sq ft of additions and alterations to the existing 55,972 sq ft community centre. We added a new 300 seat, year-round ice arena with six change rooms. We also constructed a brand-new four-lane, 25-metre pool, connected leisure pool tank, whirlpool, on-deck sauna, and three change rooms. The project also included a new multi-use room with viewing into the new pool and existing arena, cosmetic upgrades to the existing arena lobby, a new retail sports store, and a new meeting and games room.
What We Did
St. Marys Area, Arena & Community Centre Addition and Alterations
317 James Street South
St. Mary’s, ON
- This project included 3,772m2 in additions and alterations to the existing 5,200m2 community centre. A new 300 seat, year-round ice arena with 6 change rooms has been added. Natural lighting with solar-enhanced glazing in the arena provides an improved interior environment and reduced hydro consumption without glare or detriment to ice conditions. The existing ice arena received cosmetic upgrades to change rooms and a new HVAC system, dasher boards, refrigeration system and upgraded dehumidification system
- The second phase of the project included a new 4-lane 25m pool, connected leisure pool tank, whirlpool, on-deck sauna, and 3 change rooms. Complete barrier-free accessibility is achieved through a ramp that serves the lane and leisure pools and submerged stairs into the leisure pool. The project also included a new 232m2 multi-use room with viewing into the new pool and existing arena, cosmetic upgrades to existing arena lobby, a new retail sports store, and a new meeting/games room.
- A new interior “street” was created, which connects all new and existing community centre areas and provides views into all major spaces.
- Project Completion: June 2008
- Architect Garwood-Jones & Hanham Arch.